Terms of Reference
The Research, Scholarly and Artistic Works Committee of University Council is responsible for:
- Recommending to Council on issues and strategies to support research, scholarly, and artistic work.
- Recommending to Council on policies and issues related to research integrity and ethics in the conduct of research, scholarly, and artistic work.
- Recommending to Council and providing advice to the Vice-President, Research on community engagement and knowledge translation activities related to research, scholarly, and artistic work.
- Providing advice to the Vice-President ,Research and reporting to Council on issues relating to the granting agencies that provide funding to the University.
- Providing advice to the Vice-President, Research, the Vice-Provost, Teaching, Learning, and Student Experience, and the Dean of the College of Graduate and Post-Doctoral Studies on the contributions of undergraduate and graduate students and post-doctoral fellows to the research activity of the University.
- Examining proposals for the establishment of any institute or centre engaged in research, scholarly, or artistic work at the University, and providing advice to the planning and priorities committee of Council.
- Receiving an annual reports from the Vice-President, Research and the Dean of College of Graduate and Post-Doctoral Studies.
- Receiving and reporting to Council the University’s research ethics boards’ annual reports.
- Designating individuals to act as representatives of the committee on any other bodies, when requested, where such representation is deemed by the committee to be beneficial.
- Considering the priorities of the University community, such as Indigenization and internationalization, when assessing current and new research, scholarly, and artistic work activities.
- Report for Information (June 2018): Annual Report of the Research, Scholarly and Artistic Work Committee for 2017-18
- Request for Decision (June 2017) - Dissolution of the University Committee for Ethics in Human Research (UCEHR)
- Report for Information (June 2017) - Annual Report of the Research, Scholarly and Artistic Work Committee for 2016-17 (includes OVPR and CGPS Annual Reports)
- Report for Information (January 2017) - Changes to Terms of Reference for the New Researcher and Distinguished Researcher Awards
- Report for Information (June 2015): Responsible Conduct of Research Policy Report of Policy Breaches
- Report for Information (June 2015) : Report on Artistic Work
- Report for Information (June 2015): RSAW Annual Report
- Report for Information (June 2014) Responsible Conduct of Research Policy Report on policy breaches
- Report for Information (June 2014) University Research Ethics Boards Annual Reports
- Report for Information (June 2014) Annual Report to Council
- Report for Information (April 2014) Undergraduate Research
- Report for Information (January 2014) Mid-Year Report
COUNCIL REPORT 2012-13
- Request for decision (June 2013) Human Research Ethics Policy
- Request for decision (June 2013) Responsible Conduct of Research Policy
- Report for information (June 2013) University Research Ethics Boards Annual Reports
- Report for information (June 2013) Annual Report
- Request for input (May 2013) Human Research Ethics Policy and Procedures
- Request for input (May 2013) Responsible Conduct of Research Policy and Procedures
- For information (April 2013) Report on Principles and Strategies for Research Success
Nine members of the General Academic Assembly, at least three of whom will be elected members of Council, normally one of whom will be chair.
One of the nine members will be an assistant or associate dean with responsibility for research.
One undergraduate student appointed by the USSU
One graduate student appointed by the GSA
Dean of the College of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies
Dean of the University Library (or designate)
President (non-voting member)
Chair of Council (non-voting member)
The Office of the University Secretary
|Marjorie Delbaere (Chair)-Exec||Management and Marketing||2021|
|Cheryl Waldner||Large Animal Clinical Sciences||2021|
General Academic Assembly Members
|Jon Bath||Art and Art History||2021|
|Jim Waldram||Archaeology and Anthropology||2022|
|Lori Bradford (Vice-chair)-Exec||SENS||2022|
Other Members (voting)
|Karen Chad||Vice-President Research (ex officio)|
|Deborah Burshtyn||Dean, College of Graduate and Postdoctoral Studies (ex officio)|
|Charlene Sorensen||Acting Dean, University Library (ex officio)|
|Kiefer Roberts||USSU Designate||2021|
|Hadi Ramin||GSA Designate||2021|
|Dion Martens||Director of Research Services and Ethics Office|
|Laura Zink||Director, Strategic Research Initiatives|
|Amanda Storey-Exec||Academic Governance and Hearings Advisor-Committee Secretary|
2020-2021 Meeting Schedule
- September 17, 2020
- October 8, 2020
- October 29, 2020
- November 19, 2020
- December 10, 2020
- January 14, 2021
- February 4, 2021
- February 25, 2021
- March 18, 2021
- April 8, 2021
- April 29, 2021
- May 13, 2021
- May 27, 2021